Came across this today, so thought I'd post it here. Korea Tourism Organization is hiring an English Editor. As the ad says, they are looking for "native level" English, so maybe nationalities are open. Quite frankly the salary and benefits are insanely low, but it's the kind of position that might look good on a resume and get your foot in the door in Korea. Here is the information, but bear in mind that I have no connection to the KTO or this opportunity:
Join the team of multilingual promoters of Korea tourism!
The Global U-Tourism Team of the Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) is hiring an English Editor to actively engage in web content development and online marketing.
Main tasks include, but are not limited to, developing and editing content for the VisitKorea website (www.visitkorea.or.kr), conducting social media marketing, and answering travel inquiries. The position also involves traveling within Korea.
Successful candidates will have at least 1 year of editing experience, an interest in Korea, and a basic understanding of destination marketing. As a multinational group, the Global U-Tourism Team values cultural sensitivity and a positive attitude. All nationalities are welcome to apply.
1. Job Description
- Edit online content (VisitKorea.or.kr travel news, feature stories, events, etc.)
- Edit offline content (guidebooks, brochures, presentations, speeches, letters, etc.)
- Coordinate social media marketing through Social Networking Sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Answer travel inquiries
- Write travel feature stories
- Conduct market research
2. Job Requirements
- Must be legally authorized to work in Korea
- Must have a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Must have a native English proficiency level
- Intermediate Korean proficiency level preferred (Reading & Listening)
- Genuine interest in Korean culture and tourism
- Travel writing experience preferred
- 1-year contract (renewable up to 2 years; 12 days of paid vacation)
- Full-time (Hours: Monday-Friday 09:00-18:00, 1 hour lunch)
- In-house (KTO Headquarters in Seoul)
- Salary: KRW 1,980,000 per month (before tax)
* KTO will provide assistance with obtaining a working visa and medical insurance
(available 1 month after the contract begins)
[1st round: Document Screening]
Submit a resume and a cover letter via email (email@example.com).
** Deadline: February 26, 2013 (Korean local time)
[1st round notification]
Qualifying candidates will be notified individually by email.
** Date: TBD (To be determined)
[2nd round: Interview/Editing Test]
Meet the Global U-Tourism Team, introduce yourself, and demonstrate your editing skills!
** Date & Time: TBD
[2nd round notification]
** Date: TBD
If you have any inquiries about the position, please feel free to contact the Global U-Tourism Team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Insanely low... understatement!
Also, you should query wether there is any accomodation that comes with this? I don't see any in the post...if not, it takes the value from insanely low to internship!
Had the same thoughts and in fact none of the usual benefit suspects are fully present (housing, pension, severance airfare, etc.). I really don't know what they are expecting, but best of luck to them and anyone who is interested.